Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Clothing Must-Haves for Stormy Games

Recently it has been raining a TON where I live, and that means two things - first of all, everyone get's super hopeful that school will be cancelled, and second, it means CRAZY soccer practices/games. Without the right gear, these times on the pitch can be pretty painful. However, over the years I have learned the correct things to bring for both rainy and freezing games, so here are a few tips to get you through these games enjoying yourself.



Probably the most basic thing to wear to in one of these situations is Under Armour. This is basically a tight-fitting shirt that goes under one's jersey. The most common colors are white and black, and they are really a soccer players go-to for cold and wet games. Don't think that you can get off with a normal, cotton long-sleeved shirt, because those will soak up rain/sweat and weigh you down. Unfortunately Under Armour does not totally repel the water, and it can weigh you down, but definitely not as much as cotton. I have yet to find a completely repellent undershirt, but for now Under Armour works well.



My second go-to, for games that require more warmth than just Under Armour, I use a thick, ear-covering headband. This is worn along the hairline, not touching the ponytail. I prefer this to a normal beanie, as beanies tend to fall off in games or can be difficult to wear with a ponytail. I find that it provides the same amount of warmth, and fits very nicely. The headband I use is from Nike, but they can be found at stores such as Walmart too.


A very helpful article of clothing that I do not take advantage of enough, is gloves. The hands tend to get very cold during games, and having gloves can be very comfortable. In addition, I recommend putting hand warmers inside the gloves to create more warmth.



Under Armour leggings are for VERY extreme conditions, and I rarely have the need for them. But for those playing in the snow or in freezing temperatures, these are great. Players are not allowed to wear sweats during a game, so these can be worn under the shorts and socks for the same effect.






While sweats and jackets cannot actually be worn during a game, I strongly recommend wearing them during warm-up and whenever on the bench.

Those are my must-haves for all rainy and freezing games, and hopeful they help you out with your next game! If you have your own ideas, feel free to comment them below!


No comments:

Post a Comment